2018 has come to an end. Truth be told, I never thought of a future beyond the year 2018. My singular long-term goal was graduating college in 2018. 2019? Inconceivable. I never expected anything to happen after 2018. But here I am, on the cusp of another twirl around the sun.
Before we move into the future, let’s reflect on 2018, the best and most looked-forward-to year of my life. I put together a list of things I enjoyed during 2017 and decided to do it again for 2018. Lucky you!
Disclaimer: I did not see every movie, listen to every album, read every book, nor did I consume content as culturally relevant as the things on Obama’s 2018 list. I will also not attempt to rank the things I did/see/hear/read because ranks are for the military. This is not the military, this is my blog.
Places I Visited
- Cancun, Mexico
- Newport, California
- Manzanita, Oregon (oldie but a goodie)
- Salt Lake City, Utah
New Things I Tried
- Having a career
- Being a bridesmaid (#nailedit)
- Killing stink bugs all by myself
- A fig
- Indian Food
Some Concerts I Enjoyed
- Beyoncé and Jay-z
- Death Cab for Cutie
- Howard Jones
- Panic! at the Disco
- Taylor Swift
Albums I Liked (2018 releases)
- A Dawn I Remember by Holly Arrowsmith
- Boygenius by Boygenius
- Everything is Love by The Carters
- Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves
- Historians by Lucy Dacus
- Invasion of Privacy by Cardi B
- KOD by J. Cole
- Scorpion by Drake
- Sweetener by Ariana Grande
- Thank You for Today by Death Cab for Cutie
(Wow, Rachel listens to some bops. I want to listen to what Spotify claims are her favorite songs from 2018.)
Things I Watched (also 2018 releases)
- Beautiful Boy
- Black Panther
- Incredibles 2
- Lady Bird
- The Olympics #BeyondPyeong
- On the Basis of Sex
Things I Read
- Brother’s Karamozav by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- The Bus on Thursday by Shirley Barrett
- The Third Wave by Steve Case
- The Weather Detective by Peter Wohlleben
- The Hollywood Reporter because, without paying for a subscription, it is mysteriously delivered to my office biweekly
Weird Things That Happened/Important Life Lessons
- I was shamed out of a wine sale because of my social status (and because I wasn’t carrying $200 cash).
- One of my photographs was almost used on the cover of a crime novel.
- I asked Brandon Routh (aka Superman) why he wasn’t wearing any shoes and he asked me why I thought he wasn’t wearing any shoes and I said I thought was he was too warm and he told me that was the wrong answer.
- The nine year-old boy in sitting in front of me at the Panic at the Disco concert was shopping on Kohls.com for mens shoes on his iPad.
- My family tailgated outside the Regal Cinema for The Incredibles 2.
- I found out Owen Wilson and Matthew McConaughey are two different people.
Thanks to everyone who made 2018 a great year! I look forward to the year 2019 because from here on out, I don’t have any idea about anything!